Top five purchased additions of 2021

 This list will consist of cards I either bought off fellow collectors or found on Ebay throughout the course of 2021. Listed will be the players name as a link so that you can go back and read the original post if you want.  

#5. (tie) Ryan Mountcastle

#5. (tie) Onyeka Okongwu

I couldn't decide between young guys with upside in different sports.  Ryan Mountcastle is probably the better card overall because it is numbered and Oknongwu is in the NBA and those cards tend to be more valuable when the player is good.  Both are rookie cards.  Either of these cards could end up being a bust however the price point was low enough to where the upside long term bumped them both into a tie for the fiftgh spot. 

#4. Pete Alonso

This card was added as part of a group of Topps Heritage 2021 autographs I purchased in a short amount of time.  That list also includes Christian Yelich and Starling Marte, but Alonso seems to have more value due to his homerun prowess.  I started the year not really liking the look of Topps Heritage cards, but pulling the Vladimir Geurrero Jr. auto card out of one of the boxes (covered in a recent post) turned me onto the look of these.  The classic 1972 Topps look is real nice if the jersey on the card is light enough to see the signature itself.

#3. Joey Votto

I purchased card from a guy in one of my Facebook autograph groups, and it makes it to number three on my list because the probability that Votto makes the Hall of Fame down the line.  This is a certified Topps 2021 card but with the 1986 Topps throwback look, similar to the 1972 Topps Heritage listed above.  The difference in this one though is it's the chrome finish, which combined with an on card auto, looks real clean.  Getting a sleek looking card at a fair price for a future hall of famer slides this card into the three spot on my list.

#2. Frank Thomas

Also purchased off of a Facebook group, this card is pretty straightforward.  This is a Hall of Fame first baseman that I got for I think was $20 as part of the extra stock a guy had from a private signing her ran with the Big Hurt.  At the time I saw the post, the majority of the cards left in stock had been picked up so I was limited in my options and went with an Upper Deck card the guy had left.

#1. Juan Soto

While it was the most expensive purchase of the cards on this list, to me the most exciting card to add by far was Juan Soto.  Up until getting this card, I had zero shares of signed Soto items in my collection, which was an issue I wanted to rectify before his price gets to Mike Trout levels, which I 100% expect it to eventually.  Soto may be the single best hitter in the game today with the highest potential of keeping his skills long term.  I was willing to go into the three figure range to acquire this card.  I also happened to like the look of the Topps finest card it was on.

Honorable Mentions:

  • Mike Modano
  • Chris Mullin
  • Christian Yelich















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana