Harkening Back...The Hall of Very Good

 Over the last few years I've been adding autographs to my collection at a pace that has allowed me an insufficient amount of time to go back and post some autographs that I got in the distant past.  Of the three autographs I'm about to share, I actually think all of them predate 2004, the year that Petco Park opened here in San Diego.  I am 90% sure I got all of these signed while the Padres still played at their previous home, Qualcomm Stadium.  All three were also signed in person during batting practice.  

The first autograph is of former Diamondbacks 50 homerun hitter and World Series hero, Luis Gonzalez.  Gonzalez had some very good seasons for the DBacks in the late 90's and into the early 2000's.  It's possible this autograph was obtained in person at Petco Park but I want to say it was circa 2002 at Qualcomm.  Gonzalez is under PED suspicion since his career before his breakout in the desert was a journeyman type of player.  Over 350 homeruns gets him into the Hall of Very Good. 

This ball is signed by former Cubs 1st baseman Mark Grace.  Here is a bit of trivia for you, Grace was actually the MLB hits leader among players in the 90's.  He is the only player along with Pete Rose to lead baseball in hits over for an entire decade and not be in the Hall of Fame, thus earning his spot in my Hall of Very Good.
This last ball was signed by borderline Hall of Famer Billy Wagner.  He has often received votes in HOF balloting because he was a dominant reliever with a very good career, but the induction of guys with better saves stats like Lee Smith and Trevor Hoffman have made Wagner less likely to get in.  He still might long term, but for now has earned his place in the Hall of Very Good.  
I am going to continue doing some periodic posts of autographs I have not shared on this blog because it is fun for me to look back at some of the stuff I have in my collection that I have not looked at in some time.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana