Through the Mail-Dennis Eckersley

 I took a detour from all of the hockey returns I have been getting lately and went back to where my biggest collection lies, the sport of baseball. I had seen over the last few months that Hall of Fame pitcher Dennis Eckersley was returning a lot of through the mail requests, and I also saw that there were a lot of requests being sent to him. I decided to jump on the train before it was too late because I am starting to get the inkling that Dennis is getting so swamped with requests that he might just stop signing altogether. I have no evidence to support this notion, just a gut feeling. As such, I did as I pretty much always do and sent only one card, plus paid a bit over the "fee" that was notated on the Eckersley TTM page. I figured that would be enough to get the autograph back, and it came back just 13 days after I sent it in. 

The result of this signature on the 1984 Topps I chose was a good one. This looks clean and visible and looks good on the vintage card. 

I would like to take a minute as an aside. When I look at SportsCollectors site and see how many items people send these players, it confuses me. I understand that some people are set builders and are trying to knock a few out at once, but I get the feeling that the majority of the people sending a guy 4 plus cards are Ebay folks trying to make a profit. I also see a lot of people complaining on Facebook autograph groups about athletes having a fee to sign, etc. Are you kidding me? Send one (maybe two) cards and pay the fee, every time. If you don't want to pay, don't send. Those types of people send to the athletes and piss them off to the point where they no longer sign at all. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana