Through the Mail-Brandi Chastain

 Most people my age know exactly what the 1999 US Women's National Soccer team was all about.  They won the World Cup at the Rose Bowl, and the country got swept up in their success.  The success they had was even parlayed into a professional women's soccer league, though it didn't last quite as long as it should have the first time around.  The ladies and their success was the first wave of what has become a dominant run of the USWNT, from the likes of Mia Hamm leading to Abby Wambach, then on to Carly Lloyd to Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan.  The most iconic goal scored by the team though, was scored by Brandi Chastain during penalties.  Everyone knows what happened next.  But if you need a recap, click this link.  

I wrote a letter to Brandi explaining that the autograph was actually for my daughter, who loves playing soccer and that the influence she got from me to play the sport actually originally stemmed from me watching that team and all the hoopla it brought in 1999.  I think it was important for me to show her in my own small way that the influence of those women and that team is still being felt today, which is frankly pretty cool.



As you can see, not only did Brandi sign the card, she also wrote a little note back to me about giving her my daughter's name next time so that she can actually write the note to her.  This goes beyond just getting an autograph, and my daughter and I are definitely going to take her up on that offer.  I want my daughter to write a note herself.  I'd really like to thank Brandi Chastain for being an awesome role model for kids everywhere, not just little girls.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana