Wayne Gretzky

Many moons ago, when I was around eleven or twelve years old, I sent a card into the best player in NHL history, Wayne Gretzky, to see if I could get his autograph through the mail. It was the very first time I had ever attempted a through the mail autograph, so imagine my surprise when my 1993/94 Upper Deck card came back signed! It automatically became the biggest autograph in my collection. Keep in mind I'm a Los Angeles Kings fan so this particular card meant even more to me. 

Fast forward 25 years and I find out through being in and around the autograph hobby that Gretzky was notorious for using what is called an autopen during the time in which I received my card. That clearly set alarm bells ringing and sure enough, when I did some research on mine, the card I had for all those years was autopen. Autopen is a machine that will sign the person's autograph, so it really is their autograph, just not signed by them personally. Not ideal!

I tried getting his autograph through the mail again a few years ago when people were having success from him randomly, but my mail never came back. All of this is to say that Gretzky is someone I have wanted in my collection for a long, long time. Finally, I decided it was just time to go the purchasing rout as his autographs aren't getting any cheaper. 



This is a 2022-23 Upper Deck Stature hockey on card blue ink autograph numbered 13/25. Just a really pretty card and I'm stoked to finally have an authentic Wayne Gretzky in my collection. I'm really pleased with my pick.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana