Through the Mail-Juan Marichal

 The day after my two returns yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had yet another success in the mail today.  Hall of fame pitcher and Giants great Juan Marichal returned a signed card to me that I had sent less than three weeks ago.  You can see by looking at the photo that Juan is starting to get to an advanced age and the autograph is a bit shaky.  Nonetheless, I am excited by this return and thankful as always that athletes continue to take the time to sign autographs for people through the mail.

I've seen some conversation on autograph forums and in autograph groups that some people like to only have valuable cards like rookie cards signed.  My method is different than that in a few ways.  First and foremost, I look for cards that will allow a card to be signed visibly and have a nice aesthetic.  Usually that means the card needs to have a lighter background.  I also like to find cards that have a lot of space for an autograph, like the Marichal card above. Secondly, I don't want to be spending a bunch of money on rookie cards when I'm not 100% sure my request is going to be answered.  Including cash in some of the envelopes I send out as donations is risky in and of itself, and not getting a hit compounds the amount of the expenditure on the attempt.  Lastly, I try and find cards that I think look cool, sometimes I even try to find numbered cards like the Alworth and Aeneas Williams cards that just came back.

Thank you for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana