Wise or Gross?

 A couple of months ago, I found a good price on a Wander Franco Prizm rookie autograph card /99. For those that aren't aware, Franco has come under some legal scrutiny due to an alleged relationship with a minor, and the case and investigation are ongoing from both a legal and major league baseball perspective. This guy was one of the hottest, most sought after baseball players in the market but with the allegations came a huge cratering of his value. Ignoring the potentially scummy feeling of dipping my toe into that market, I found such a cheap card that I felt compelled to pull the trigger.

The range of outcomes here is pretty straightforward. It is entirely plausible (perhaps even probable) that he will be found guilty of his discretions and his market and career will forever be sunk. In that case, I'm out a very tiny bit of money. However, in the unlikely scenario that his name is cleared and all is forgiven, what happens? When I say forgiven, I mean beyond the obvious legal standpoint but from public and baseball fan perspective. Will he be found not guilty and then regain his popularity completely? Unlikely. Will he be found not guilty but always have the stench of this accusation hanging over his head anyway, resulting in his autograph market recovering a little but never back to the heights it was? That seems likely to me. 

Either way, this is a rookie auto out of 99 and I felt it was worth the gamble. Feel free to agree or disagree in the comments as you see fit. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana