Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

A couple months back I saw that NBA All-time great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would be signing autographs at the Puente Hills mall in an event hosted by Honabach and Sons. In a situation where I would have to drive 80 miles each way, I always have to make sure it's a player I truly covet or would add a lot to my collection.  With Kareem probably being a top 5 NBA player all time, I didn't think I could pass up the opportunity so I purchased tickets.  The day of the signing was this past Saturday June 24, so I made the trek up from Oceanside and got to the mall about 90 minutes before the signing was to take place.  Luckily, I had purchased the ticket right when the signing was available to the public, so I ended up with "VIP" tickets which in essence guarantee you a spot in the first 50. That meant I could show up to the event, pick up my will call tickets, then goof around in the mall until the signing began.
My son and I decided to grab a quick bit to eat, then got in line quarter to 12, which was fifteen minutes before the signing was to take place.  I snapped a photo from my spot in line;
If I had to guess, I was probably about 40th in the group with the VIP tickets.  The line on the opposite side of the store entrance had grown a lot by the time I exited the store with my autograph. It was probably 150 people strong at that point. To their credit, the organizers controlled the chaos in such a way that the line went smoothly, and within ten minutes I was close enough to snap a few photos of Kareem.
Next up was my son and I, and I had an 11x14 matte photo (with a dark background on purpose) ready to go.  I requested the HOF inscription, which tends to be my go to request.  I believe the photo came out real nicely.

After the signature had dried, I walked up to a (thankfully) very quick authentication line that Beckett was running, and they slapped the "Witnessed" authentication sticker on there.  After that, we were om the way home for a cool 1 hour and 45 minute drive in traffic.  Once I get this thing matted and framed, I'll put the photo of the final product on here.  Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana