Random Ponderings of the Collector's Mind

It has been quite some time since my last post, and that is due to being extremely busy.  Since I last went to Petco Park to collect some signatures from the Pittsburgh Pirates, I have done absolutely zero signing events or games of any sort.  That means I missed out on teams like the Giants and the Dodgers coming to Petco Park, as well as free signing event like the one Jonathan Quick did up in Anaheim a couple weekends ago at Living Spaces.  I really would have liked to get a picture signed by him with Conn Smythe 2012, especially since the Kings are my favorite team.

I realize some hobbyists out there go to a lot more events than I do, almost on a thrice weekly basis.  Frankly, I don't have the kind of time or want to collect most of the guys that are signing at these events.  Besides, the vast majority of anything going on with regards to sports memorabilia, and happening in Southern California, occurs in Orange County and LA.  That is too far for me to drive unless it is a player really worth getting.

I would like to take some time to talk a little bit more about an annual event that I alluded to in a previous post, and that is the Bay Area Tristar Sports Card Show.  I went to this in April of this year for the first time up at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.  I have to say, it was a well run event and it enabled me to meet some of the better players in baseball history.  The show is more of a card/collectible type of event, but they have athletes appear to sign autographs as well as have a lot of vendors/dealers who show up from around the country.  Although there is no announced date for the Bay Area show for 2013 yet, here is the website; http://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html

Last event I got to meet Frank Robinson, Jose Canseco, Pete Rose, Ferguson Jenkins, Johnny Bench, Steve Carlton, Carlton Fisk, and Chris Mullin.  Reggie Jackson was scheduled to appear but cancelled the week prior.  I also purchased a Matt Cain ball that was authenticated at a signing by MLB, as well as a Willie Mays ball that was authenticated by Mays' company as well as JSA.  I also bought a Magic Johnson signed 8x10 from the Hall of Fame Sports' vendor table (they do an annual signing with Johnson every year).  Here are some pictures of the loot...











All of these were from the Saturday of the event, as it is a two day event.  I did not even go on the Sunday, which featured many current and former 49ers and Raiders such as Jim Otto, Joe Montana, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Dwight Clark, Alex Smith, etc.  Also, Tony LaRussa made an appearance and signed autographs as well.  It is show that I would highly recommend to anyone who doesn't mind paying for good autographs.  Hopefully in 2013 I will be able to attend both days and add to my collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

John Elway

Joe Montana