Topps Composite is Legit! Plus other cool adds

 Collectors of sports cards tend to have arguments over whether or not they think unlicensed products are worthy of purchasing or adding to collections. Some say yes and don't care that there are no team logos or names, others are steadfast in their belief that you need both team logos and team names on the cards to make them worthy of collecting. For me, I don't lean too hard one way or the other as long as I think the card looks good and I personally think this new set by Topps called Topps Composite looks great and has an insane hit rate in retail products. 

Some background first; Topps is now owned by Fanatics. Fanatics has the contract for a lot of the huge athletes in terms of autographs, however Panini has the NFL license. Using 2023 as an example, the rookie QB class of CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson, Bryce Young, etc only had Richrdson signing Panini products. That means if you bought Panini Prizm or Mosiac or anything under Panini's umbrella at all, you would not be able to pull the other rookie QBs autos. Enter Topps. Topps does have the license with all of these players but their new product they just released is unlicensed because they don't have the license agreement with the NFL in affect quite yet. That means if you want to hit a rookie QB auto out of some product, you will have to buy Topps and the card won't have team logos or names. 

Well, I found a few mega boxes of the stuff out there in the wild and am now three for three in terms of hitting autographs and numbered cards in each box. This first auto is Packers Hall of Fame linebacker Dave Robinson on a card numbered /50. The gold pops with the Packers colors. Is no logo obvious on this? Not really.

The third box I opened had this autograph of former Patriots lineback (and also another Hall of Famer) Andre Tippett. This auto is numbered /175. Again, the lack of the use of the word Patriots and the lack of their logo is not obvious on this card.

The other autograph was in my last post, when I pulled an on card auto of former Redskins QB Doug Williams. On the YouTube videos I've watched, people are pulling autographs at about a 50% clip from mega boxes. That is really an insane hit rate and makes Topps Composite worthy of buying in my opinion. 

Something I did over this weekend was hit up my local card shop and tried my hand at Topps Chrome UEFA soccer. The autograph I hit isn't a world ender but Jarrod Bowen is a good player and plays for West Ham in the Premier League. Any numbered auto I can pull of some of the better players in the  Premier League I consider a win.
Lastly, I went the eBay rout and picked another card off the Copa America Prizm checklist, this time in the way of Argentina legend Javier Mascherano. It's another green wave auto and I am a big fan of this look as I've mentioned multiple times on this blog. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Stockton

Al Kaline-Through the Mail

John Elway